Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Kingdom Rush Vengeance (Steam) Impossible Hero Challenge - REDEMPTION!!!

Long time readers (both of you) will know the heartache I suffered on The Ancient Ghosts Iron mode, having to give out my first 'F' ever in any of my Impossible Hero Challenges.  I just could not finish the map with Oloch no matter how hard I tried, and I was extremely bitter about it.

Well, I recently redid the map with Isfet as part of adding him to my Vengeance series, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered.  Despite him have a ranged magic attack, which is nearly useless on Liches and Haunted Skeletons with their absurd magic resistance, I ended up giving him a 'C', and honestly could have argued for even a 'B-'.

That inspired me to go back and give it one more go with Oloch.  After all, I'm a better player now than I was back then, so maybe I'd be able to pull it off.  Well I'm excited to say that I did.  I can officially rescind my one 'F' and can say that I have beaten every single map across all three games with every single hero.

I altered my strategy a little bit based on my experience with Isfet.  I knew from him that if I could permanently stall the Liches coming from the upper left, it would free up resources to devote to the righthand side of the map - which is honestly the one most likely to get out of control.  It took some doing, but I was able to make it work with Oloch as well.

Part of the strategy change was also changing from Demon Goonies to Demon Guards.  Now most players use Goonies exclusively, as I do myself, as they have a ranged attack which is generally more useful than the pitiful increase in health and damage that Guards get compared to them.  But ranged attacks aren't needed here - the Liches need to be kept in melee constantly, as their own ranged attacks are extremely powerful.  In addition, the Guards have the upgrade where they cause AoE explosive damage when they die.  It's not much, but it's something, especially considering they will be dying a lot.

Now the balance patch that came out this past December did include a slight buff to Demon Guards.  It increased their melee damage by 2 points and their explosive death damage by 10.  However, I wasn't using Guards when I was originally trying with Oloch, so it's hard to say if I could have done this pre-patch or not.  We'll never know now, but I don't really care.  I'm just glad I could get this failure which has felt like an albatross off my neck after all this time.  Oloch gets a 'D' of course - what else would we expect? - but I'm pleased to give you:

Kingdom Rush Vengeance Impossible Hero Challenge - 28. The Ancient Ghosts Iron - Oloch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Legends of Kingdom Rush Hero Challenge - Asra, Sylvan Elf, and Barbarian

Just like I did Impossible Hero Challenges for all the tower defense Kingdom Rush games, I want to do the same for Legends of Kingdom Rush, ...