Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Kingdom Rush Origins (Steam) Impossible Hero Challenge - Dwaraman Gates Campaign

After the extreme challenge of Beheader's Seat iron, it's nice to return to a normal, just merely hard challenge.  This map is that, but mostly it's just an exercise in finding the exact right build.  I was slightly worried about this one, remembering how challenging it was even with Faustus when I did my Impossible difficulty walkthrough, but it turns out - as it often does - that I just needed to find a better build.

I really don't like this map.  First, I'm not a fan of maps with multiple exit lanes, and especially not when there's three completely separate ones.  And while it looks like there are plenty of build spots, it's actually really difficult to put together a decent chokepoint on this map.  It really requires two barracks for each lane, which means you can't have both physical and magic damage towers on each chokepoint.  That's a problem because a big part of this map's gimmick is switching up between high magic resistance enemies (spiders) and high armor enemies (Devourers and Dark Spitters).

The solution I went with was Arcane Archers with Burst Arrows for magic damage.  Now that I'm done I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with mage towers instead and just relied on barracks, reinforcements, and heroes for the physical damage against spiders.  But I made it through just fine, and I don't think the grades would be substantially altered by a different build.  The key was just finding the right balance between upgrading the barracks and the DPS towers.

Impressions

The maps ends up being a fairly "standard hard" one in terms of performance, so there's not a lot to say.  Eridan, Catha, and Razz form our 'C' team, and as usual it's due to a lack of DPS.  I ended up giving Prince Denas a 'B', but it was very much a B-, almost falling into 'C' territory.

Final Grades

  • Eridan - C
  • Arivan - B
  • Catha - C
  • Reg'son - A
  • Prince Denas - B
  • Razz and Rags - C
  • Bravebark - A
  • Vez'nan - A
  • Xin - B
  • Phoenix - A
  • Durax - A
  • Lynn - B
  • Bruce - B
  • Lilith - B
  • Wilbur - A
  • Faustus - A

Best Choice

Wilbur takes the top spot uncontested.  His insanely high true DPS just mows down enemies regardless of their resistances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Legends of Kingdom Rush Hero Challenge - Asra, Sylvan Elf, and Barbarian

Just like I did Impossible Hero Challenges for all the tower defense Kingdom Rush games, I want to do the same for Legends of Kingdom Rush, ...