Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Kingdom Rush Origins (Steam) Impossible Hero Challenge - Dwaraman Gates Heroic

As I've done this challenge over the last few months I've really come to dread the campaign modes.  At best they're easy but tedious, usually taking 15 minutes to complete each one - which adds up to a lot when you have to do 16 heroes.  At worst they're challenging like Dwaraman Gates campaign, meaning I have to do multiple attempts at the beginning until I get the strategy just right, and then multiple attempts for the sup-par heroes.  That's why it's always refreshing when I finish and get to move on to heroic mode.  Most heroic modes in this game are just shorter and slightly harder versions of the campaign mode, meaning I already have a good handle on them going in and they usually only take about 5 minutes.

That's definitely true of this heroic mode.  It's a bit more challenging than campaign mode, to the extent that I had to start modifying my build as I got towards the end of the heroes and into our 'C' students, which is something I normally don't have to do.  But the key here turned out to be gold efficiency - getting my Wild Magus towers up as soon as possible to deal with the Devourers and Dark Spitters.

Impressions

There were some rough ones this time around.  I didn't hand out any 'D's as I didn't feel I really had to rely on good RNG for any of the heroes, but some of the endings got really sloppy as I was just trying to hold things together until my final Thunderbolt came off cooldown.

Razz and Rags and Prince Denas take the bottom of the list here with 'C's.  I did hand out three other 'C's to Eridan, Xin, and Bruce as well, but Razz and Denas' grades were definite 'C-'s, if I were doing that sort of thing, which I'm not.  As usual, the culprit is just really low DPS - especially in Prince Denas' case, as his physical damage does nothing against Devourers and Dark Spitters.  Xin and Bruce pull unusual 'C's for the same reason - physical DPS just isn't worth much here.

The only real surprises in the 'B' team where Bravebark and Vez'nan.  Bravebark is understandable since he is also physical DPS, but for some reason I don't really understand Vez'nan struggled on this map, despite seemingly having the right tools for it.

Reg'son and Durax join our usual top trio for 'A's this time.  Vindicator is a godsend here to take down the Dark Spitters, and this is one of those maps that just plays very well to Durax's strengths.

Final Grades

  • Eridan - C
  • Arivan - B
  • Catha - B
  • Reg'son - A
  • Prince Denas - C
  • Razz and Rags - C
  • Bravebark - B
  • Vez'nan - B
  • Xin - C
  • Phoenix - A
  • Durax - A
  • Lynn - B
  • Bruce - C
  • Lilith - B
  • Wilbur - A
  • Faustus - A

Best Choice

Wilbur and Phoenix tie for top spot.  This is one of those maps where superior true DPS really shines and makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Legends of Kingdom Rush Hero Challenge - Asra, Sylvan Elf, and Barbarian

Just like I did Impossible Hero Challenges for all the tower defense Kingdom Rush games, I want to do the same for Legends of Kingdom Rush, ...