Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Kingdom Rush Vengeance (Steam) Impossible Hero Challenge - Jokull's Nest Iron

This one was challenging, but again, not in a way that really depends on your hero.  The first challenge is getting the build right.  This one was tricky the first few times I tried it, but the key turned out to be realizing I could put together a defense on the right side that could basically take care of itself without any input from me.  After that it's just a matter of spamming Spectral Mausoleums with Possession to take care of the huge stream of Frost Trolls on the left.  Last time I talked about the power of Possession, and it's important to realize that each Spectral Mausoleum neutralizes two Frost Giants - the one possessed, and then the next one in line it ends up blocking.  As the two Frost Giants deal tremendous amounts of damage to each other, the Spectral Mausoleum continues hitting the unpossessed one, so that by the time Possession is over you have two vastly weakened Frost Giants.

It still takes some work towards the end making sure all the Frost Giants go down and that nothing slips through your defense, but the difficulty doesn't really vary that much depending on your hero (well, at least it doesn't make the difficulty worse than an 'A' grade).  Magical damage heroes like Oloch and Mortemis do suffer a little bit at the beginning, as all the enemies on the left side have magic resistance, but then they shine at the end going up against the Frost Giants who only have armor, so it all balances out.

We have now completed the entire second act of the game without needing to hand out grades a single time.  I'd like to point out that I've also done this while instantly calling every single next wave every single time (if you ever notice an instance where I actually wait a few seconds before calling the next wave, it's only because I got distracted and failed to notice the next wave notification, not because I was deliberately stalling).  I still really like this game, but I can't tell you how disappointed I am in how much they nerfed the difficulty compared to Origins.  Considering Ironhide Studios is now moving on to non-tower defense games like Legends of Kingdom Rush, I'm worried this will be the last tower defense game in the Kingdom Rush line.  It would be a disappointing entry for the series to go out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Legends of Kingdom Rush Hero Challenge - Asra, Sylvan Elf, and Barbarian

Just like I did Impossible Hero Challenges for all the tower defense Kingdom Rush games, I want to do the same for Legends of Kingdom Rush, ...