Thursday, February 24, 2022

Kingdom Rush Vengeance (Steam) Impossible Hero Challenge - Into the Mountains Campaign

I'm still really enjoying this elite mini-campaign, as it's really hitting the sweet spot of challenging without being frustrating.  Although to be fair I did start out extremely frustrated with this map.  That, and the fact that I've started playing a lot of Vampire Survivors, is why it's been a while since my last update.

I usually practice maps with Oloch.  I'm pretty confident in saying at this point that he is the worst hero in the game, so it makes sense to refine my strategy with him before I get to more powerful heroes who can make up for deficiencies in a build plan.  However, Oloch really struggles on this map due to the large number of magic-resistance enemies.  I was failing a lot at first, hence the frustration, until I realized the problem.  I then went on to perfect the map with non-magic DPS heroes before coming back to Oloch and Mortemis with a lot more experience and being able to figure out the minor tweaks to the build plan they require to make them work.

I always try to use the same build plan across heroes wherever possible, but this is one case where it just won't work.  The first real change is fairly minor - needing to build Shadow Archers on the northern build spots before investing in the Spectral Mausoleum in the middle in order to have enough physical DPS.  But the other change I realized came around wave 7 or 8.  My other heroes were solid enough that at this point I could go ahead and kill all the Snow Golems just to get them out of the way and not have to worry about them anymore.  However, magical DPS struggles here so much that I realized I had to keep growing my build during this period, always saving just enough gold to kill the next Snow Golem that threatened to pop.

Impressions


Magical versus physical DPS truly is the gamechanger here, so I gave all the physical DPS heroes 'A's, while giving Oloch a 'C' and Mortemis a 'B'.  Mortemis' much greater DPS and better abilities made it much easier to complete with him versus Oloch, who almost slipped to a 'D'.

Final Grades

  • Veruk - A
  • Asra - A
  • Oloch - C
  • Margosa - A
  • Mortemis - B
  • Tramin - A
  • Jigou - A
  • Beresad - A
  • Doom Tank SG-11 - A
  • Jun'pai - A
  • Eiskalt - A
  • Murglun - A
  • Jack O'Lantern - A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Legends of Kingdom Rush Hero Challenge - Asra, Sylvan Elf, and Barbarian

Just like I did Impossible Hero Challenges for all the tower defense Kingdom Rush games, I want to do the same for Legends of Kingdom Rush, ...