Friday, December 15, 2023

Kingdom Rush Vengeance (Steam) Impossible Hero Challenge - Wizard's Landing Campaign

And so at last we return to Kingdom Rush Vengeance.  Ironhide unhelpfully did not make it clear that when they said the DLC would drop on 12/7, that did NOT include Steam, which only got it on 12/14.  So my apologies for my misleading post.

But here we are, and we're diving straight into this new content.  Now like the last DLC I'll be saving the new hero, Isfet, for his own playlist, as for completeness I will be going back and doing every single map with him.  So I don't have any impressions of him to share just yet.

What I can say is that this initial map is extremely underwhelming.  It's a straightforward map with a single exit and good build points.  The new DLC enemies have very little in the way of surprise.  The Falconer is the most interesting in terms of difficulty, as his falcons can not only do damage but also exit the map to make you lose lives.

Now normally in this playthrough I've of course only been using free-on-mobile towers, but on this map I decided to give the new Sandworm Hollow a go.  After all, since the DLC is paid content this time around, you can't be playing this level and not have the new tower, whatever platform you're on.

So what is my impression?  It's okay, but not great.  I got through this map with it relatively fine, but in terms of artillery the Melting Furnace is still far superior.  The biggest problem with the Sandworm Hollow is its attack speed is very slow - it looks to be about 6 seconds per attack.  The problem with that is if the tower chooses a poor spot to attack, the cost is very high as you're now waiting 6 whole seconds before it can attack again.  The tower's abilities are nice - Call of the Desert and Mucus Glob synergize well in helping keep enemies on top of the damaging area, and having an AoE insta-kill is new for any tower in the Kingdom Rush series.  However, the tower and its abilities are just too expensive for what you get.

Impressions

The grades this time I don't feel mean a lot, as I was deliberately using a sub-optimal build by trying out the Sandworm Hollow.  I went back and tried the same build strategy but just using Melting Furnaces instead and it was noticeably easier.  Had that been the build then I suspect everyone would have pulled 'A's, except possibly Oloch.  All in all a pretty easy map.

Final Grades

  • Veruk - B
  • Asra - A
  • Oloch - C
  • Margosa - B
  • Mortemis - A
  • Tramin - B
  • Jigou - B
  • Beresad - A
  • Doom Tank SG-11 - A
  • Jun'pai - A
  • Eiskalt - A
  • Murglun - A
  • Dianyun - A
  • Grosh - A
  • Jack O'Lantern - A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kingdom Rush Alliance Impossible Hero Challenge - 8. Carmine Mines Iron

I know I've complained about iron modes already in this series, but this one honestly made me mad.  Talk about a completely pointless wa...